Phone WORKING SCHEDULE - MON SAT / 07:00AM - 10:00PM CALL NOW 647-952-4431

You don’t know how much you use your microwave until you go to turn it on and nothing happens! You can give to a donation center where they will attempt to repair and resell it while you are off to the nearest department store in search of a replacement.  This is another expense you can do without so why not attempt to repair yourself?

Locate the owner’s manual if you still have it.  The owners-manual usually includes some helpful troubleshooting tips. Who knows it may be a simple reset of a button. If you cannot locate the owner’s manual, you can try and look online by putting in the search field of your browser the make and model.

Simple Checks:

  • First and foremost, unplug the microwave before attempting to repair. Remove the glass plate and any other movable parts in the microwave.
  • Check the outlet. Make sure that it is working.  A thunderstorm or surge could have tripped a fuse.
  • Inspect the cord to see if there are any damage or burn marks.

Grab Your Toolbox:

  • If the simple checks did not reveal any issues, you would need to remove the back shell of the microwave with a screwdriver and troubleshoot further.
  • Check to see if the fuse in the microwave is blown. It is small so using fuse pullers would be best.
  • Once removed, use an ohmmeter and check the fuse. If the reading is 0, the fuse is good.  If the reading is infinite, this is an indication that you have a blown fuse.  It will need to be replaced.  This can be found online or at a hardware store.

My Fuse is good, What’s Next?

  • Inspect the door switches as they could be causing the issue.
  • Find the door switches and remove leads, similar to the fuse removal process.
  • Using an ohmmeter, check the terminals. The reading should be infinity with the microwave door open and zero when it is closed. If this is not the case, the leads will need to be replaced.

Could it be the Capacitor?

  • The Capacitor provides a steady power flow. The removal can be a bit more complicated than the previous steps. You may want to contact a service person who is familiar with this process.
  • Remember a microwave can give an electrical shock even when unplugged!
  • If you are a savvy service person and have successfully removed the capacitor, remove the leads and using an ohmmeter, check the terminals. The reading should start in the low ohms and increase to infinity. Retest to be sure as the reading should do the same thing.

If it does not the capacitor could be the issue. If this is not the case, the capacitor will need to be replaced. If any of these tips have not revealed the issue with your microwave, it may be time to evaluate the age of the microwave and consider a new model.